Wednesday 25 July 2012

Speculative Fiction Reading Challenge - Blood Divided by Kevin James Breaux






Continuing with my reading challenge for Speculative Fiction 2012, I chose Blood Divided...


Kevin James Breaux's sequel to Soul Born kicks off twenty years after the first story ends. There is enough back story to keep the 'uninitiated' in the loop, but it can also be read as a stand-alone, which is good since I really didn't want to be interrupted while reading by going back to the first one to refresh myself.

From the get-go, I was hooked (maybe because I'm already an 'initiated'), and had me up well past my bedtime to see 'what happens next' to the ensemble cast. It was good to see Tala (the Elf) again and the return of one of my favourites, Zian, the werewolf. Back too in one form or the other is Opal, the misguided mage. And then there is the new cast, primarily Opal and Tala's children by the same dude, Karn.  Each new character comes with unique personalities that jump out the page and drive the story forward.

I look forward to the next in the sequel, Dark Quest, which the author told me is due out 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment