Friday 20 September 2013

SFFSat - Sept 21

Science Fiction Fantasy Saturday (SFFSat) is a place where a bunch of us post snippets from our written works and also shoot the breeze a little. And before I get ahead of myself, thanks and appreciation as always to those who stop by and leave fantastic comments.


I'm still torturing you with my madcap ramble about the dino-dragon on an abandoned ship. Last week, our two heroes were just about to jump into their drop ship to escape.

A little preamble for those who don't know: Two characters on an old ship that looked like it originated from the 1960s. They discover a creature that looks suspiciously like a dinosaur, but more like a dragon...they scramble.
You can catch the previous ones:
Part 1: here.
Part 2: here.
Part 3: here.
Part 4: here.
Part 5: here.
Part 6: here.
Part 7: here.

And now for this week...

The beast barreled into the doorway, the metal frame bent and spread wider and the distinct sound of old corroded metal snapping and screaming terrorized the air. Mason made a pining noise, his eyes riveted to the drop ship’s open hatch, his legs pumping across the deck. Unable to stop myself, I kept looking back; the dragon seemed stuck, but with a heave forward, it burst through, roaring with indignation. I made the pining noise now.
A hot rush slapped against our ankles, the bitter scent of smoke and char spurred us on. Mason dived into the drop ship first, like a rugger player slamming into the scrimmage. I followed, uncaring if I landed on him.
“Shut the doors, Elmo!” The computer’s name. “Take off now-now-now!”

Oh no!! Will our two heroes make it? Stay tuned next week, same bat time, same bat channel.

If you are interested in participating in next weeks SFFSat, just click HERE, and follow the rules. Sign up is open every Wednesday - and if you're on Twitter, use the #SFFSat hashtag.



Cheers!

15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I think it's sort of like, "Nnnnnn..." Personally, I often pine quite quietly whilst alone, though it's usually with a bag of potato chips in hand, so my pining is accompanied by the pronounced sounds of wistful crunching. I didn't get the sense from this scene that there were any potato chips involved, so I'm still going with "Nnnnnn..."

      ;)

      Delete
    2. Exactly that! Haha, Cary, you are too silly. ;P

      Delete
  2. You've got me working my brain over Elmo now (computer names always have to mean something, you see): Shipboard (El)ectronic (M)aintenance & (O)perations?

    I need more caffeine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you believe I was actually thinking of the most silliest name for a computer, and up popped Elmo...like The Elmo from Sesame Street. :)

      Delete
    2. Actually, in the original draft of Arthur C. Clarke's 2001, the act of interfacing with the HAL 9000 involved gently prodding the computer just below the main processor - the act was referred to as 'tickling' - so I can see the connection.

      Delete
  3. Love the computer's name...although for the life of me, I'm not sure what distinct noise corroded metal makes when it finally snaps. That said, love the action sequence, and can't wait to see another snippet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks. Well, I once heard a corroded garden shovel break. Like dry wood, but squeaky and very dusty. So, magnify that a few times.

      Delete
  4. I had a great visual of this scene playing out and enjoyed their undignified dive into the lander. E.L.M.O. - Evac Landing MOdule - or a red fluffy puppet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I like that name!! Can I use it? Of course, as I explained to Cary, it was more in line with the fluffy red puppet... :P

      Delete
  5. Hopefully Elmo has quick (computer) reflexes. Evac Landing MOdule gets my vote...red fluffy puppet or not :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I especially like the hot rush around their ankles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, nice action scene! Love Evac Landing MOdule! "I followed, uncaring if I landed on him." Love that line!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pulpy, fun adventure--that's why I love reading your stuff, T.K. :D

    ReplyDelete